By Jacqueline Saw, Saibal Kar, Matthew J. Price
Percutaneous left atrial appendage (LAA) closure is an rising know-how for thromboembolic prevention in sufferers with atrial traumatic inflammation (AF). the 1st human implantation of an LAA equipment happened in 2001, and because then 4 units have acquired CE mark approval. those units are being commonly used in Europe for LAA closure in sufferers who're terrible applicants for long term oral anticoagulation. within the US, the WATCHMAN gadget (Boston medical) is expected to obtain FDA approval imminently for AF sufferers who're warfarin-eligible. This approval is projected to seriously extend the indicators for LAA closures around the world. therefore, the amount of techniques is predicted to enhance. This booklet discusses the epidemiology of AF as a reason for stroke; using LAA closure cut back thromboembolism with AF; early surgical methods and novel surgical units for LAA closure; and present percutaneous techniques and units on hand for LAA closure. The emphasis of this ebook is on percutaneous technical ways and modern trial effects at the best units (PLAATO, WATCHMAN, Amplatzer Cardiac Plug, and LARIAT). It additionally stories unapproved units in improvement, in either medical and pre-clinical phases.
Read Online or Download Left Atrial Appendage Closure: Mechanical Approaches to Stroke Prevention in Atrial Fibrillation PDF
Similar allied health services books
Metabolic engineering is a brand new box with purposes within the construction of chemical substances, fuels, fabrics, prescribed drugs, and medication on the genetic point. The field's novelty is within the synthesis of molecular biology innovations and the instruments of mathematical research, which enable rational number of goals for genetic amendment via measurements and regulate of metabolic fluxes.
The previous decade has introduced nice advances in our knowing of the mechanisms underlying auditory pathologies. This quantity offers fresh advancements in learn and their capability translation to the medical surroundings. It brings jointly the elemental and scientific sciences very properly in that whereas so much chapters are written through simple scientists, each one subject has direct scientific software or implication.
This e-book is a concise creation to the interventional radiology box and is designed to aid clinical scholars and citizens comprehend the elemental techniques relating to image-guided interventional approaches and ensure the perfect use of imaging modalities within the therapy of assorted problems.
Wound therapeutic Biomaterials: quantity One, treatments and Regeneration discusses the kinds of wounds linked to trauma, affliction, or surgical procedure that could occasionally be tremendous advanced and tough to heal. therefore, there's a popular force for scientists and clinicians to discover how you can heal most of these wounds, with technological know-how more and more turning in the direction of biomaterials to deal with those demanding situations.
- Carbon Nanotubes - Growth and Applications
- Medical Terminology: A Living Language
- Concepts in Fetal Movement Research
Additional info for Left Atrial Appendage Closure: Mechanical Approaches to Stroke Prevention in Atrial Fibrillation
Mantha S, Ansell J. An indirect comparison of dabigatran, rivaroxaban and apixaban for atrial fibrillation. Thromb Haemost. 2012;108:476–84. 55. Southworth MR, Reichman ME, Unger EF. Dabigatran and postmarketing reports of bleeding. N Engl J Med. 2013;368:1272–4. 56. Larsen TB, Rasmussen LH, Skjoth F, et al. Efficacy and safety of dabigatran etexilate and warfarin in “real-world” patients with atrial fibrillation: a prospective nationwide cohort study. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013;61(22):2264–73. 57.
42. Gosselin RC, Dwyre DM, Dager WE. Measuring dabigatran concentrations using a chromogenic ecarin clotting time assay. Ann Pharmacother. 2013;47(12):1635–40. 43. Samama MM, Martinoli J-L, LeFlem L, et al. Assessment of laboratory assays to measure rivaroxaban—an oral, direct factor Xa inhibitor. Thromb Haemost. 2010;103(4):815–25. 44. Becker RC, Yang H, Barrett Y, et al. Chromogenic laboratory assays to measure the factor Xa-inhibiting properties of apixaban—an oral, direct and selective factor Xa inhibitor.
60. Hohnloser SH, Oldgren J, Yang S, et al. Myocardial ischemic events in patients with atrial fibrillation treated with dabigatran or warfarin in the RE-LY (randomized evaluation of longterm anticoagulation therapy) trial. Circulation. 2012;125:669–76. 61. Uchino K, Hernandez AV. Dabigatran association with higher risk of acute coronary events: meta-analysis of noninferiority randomized controlled trials. Arch Intern Med. 2012;172(5):397–402. 62. Mak KH. Coronary and mortality risk of novel oral antithrombotic agents: a meta-analysis of large randomized trials.